Monday, October 14, 2013

The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo

I started Shadow and Bone and after about a chapter I was bored out of my mind. I swiftly chucked it under my bed and started into the next book. It was only after it kept popping up on my recommended books on Amazon that I decided to give it another go.  Thank goodness I did. After roughing it through chapter one, the book got significantly better.

Unlike most medieval fantasies that have a heavy European influence, this book has a dark Russian vibe that is ever so refreshing. The book tells the story of Alina, a plain jane orphan whose only family is her best friend Mal (love story?). When she ends up using unknown magical powers to save Mal, she is whisked away to the royal court. There she will be trained as a Grisha, the magical elite led by the Darkling (love triangle?). Now she must learn to control her wild magic in order to destroy the Shadow Fold, an area of darkness filled with flesh eating monsters that is slowly consuming her country. 

Instead of the second book slump most series enter into, Siege and Storm just built on the awesomeness that was the first (love square?!). I’m really excited for the third book to come out and I would definitely recommend reading this trilogy.


Lora

No comments:

Post a Comment