Monday, September 23, 2013

Candide by Voltaire

“Optimism," said Cacambo, "What is that?" "Alas!" replied Candide, "It is the obstinacy of maintaining that everything is best when it is worst.” 

I took an enlightenment class in college and I wish I could say I was enlightened. Um..no. Befuddled best describes my feelings. Oddly enough, I loved the readings and since we never touched on Voltaire while in the class, I decided to grab copy of Candide. 

Candide is a classic satyr based in the late 1700’s that includes both a biting sarcastic undertone as well as a mocking attitude towards religions, governments, philosophers, and theologians. Also it's super random and bizarre, but in the best way possible? 

Like most satyrs you need to have a healthy understanding of the history surrounded the story in order to get 90 percent of the jokes. This means the end notes describing the historical events within the tale are pretty essential.

A synopsis of the tale is this: poor naive Candide tries his best to stay optimistic even through the absurd amount of tragedies he encounters on his journey for true love. It sounds ridiculous because it is, but do not be deceived, this hilarious little read has a lot of depth.
Here’s a taste:

“I have wanted to kill myself a hundred times, but somehow I am still in love with life. This ridiculous weakness is perhaps one of our more stupid melancholy propensities, for is there anything more stupid than to be eager to go on carrying a burden which one would gladly throw away, to loathe one’s very being and yet to hold it fast, to fondle the snake that devours us until it has eaten our hearts away?” 

Rating: 4/5

-Lora

No comments:

Post a Comment