Sunday, August 25, 2013

World War Z by Max Brooks

My cousin’s been trying to get me to read this book for about a month now and I knew I couldn’t face him again unless I had at least made an attempt. Well, I ended up finishing the book and it completely fascinated me.

The story is about a man who wants to document the “zombie war” by interviewing people from all over the world who were affected by it. The book is broken down into different stages of the war and each stage is comprised of chapters dedicated to individual interviews. 

I have to give the author props for this nifty idea.

Unlike most zombie fiction, this book would not be considered a gore-fest. Each interview was very matter-of-fact and the narrations are based on past events so you go into each story knowing they survived.  Unless they died, turned into zombies, and acquired the skill to talk again. PLOT TWIST!!

Ignore previous sentence.

Downside to all the little stories: there wasn’t a definite plot to keep you from losing interest. Plus the overall outcome was revealed in the first chapter so you were kind of just reading a unique history book.

Final thoughts!

This book is incredibly interesting. The political and social break-down of how each country would react to this “plague” was intriguing and it made me realize I'm rather ignorant about, well, the rest of the world. Plus the narrations were so real I find myself thinking about them as if they actually happened. Which makes me wonder what I would do in these situations and that led to all sorts of panicking. I was never meant to survive anything. I would probably just drink a bottle of Nyquil and hire someone to shoot me once the pseudoephedrine kicked in.

Anyways, this is a much needed addition to the zombie genre and I look forward to his upcoming novels. 

Rating: ★★★★☆  

-Lora

P.S Someone of the characters language can be best described as colorful - there were a couple stories that I just skipped over - so keep that in mind before you pick up a copy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment