Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

I thought I could escape this book. My outsider perspective labeled it as trivial and borderline Mormon romantic rubbish. It wasn’t until trust-worthy sources told me I had to read it that I reluctantly grabbed a copy. 

My first chapter in I was having flashback to the Georgette Heyer craze of 2006. If you don’t know this author she can be summed up as the slow-witted man’s Jane Austen. Undoubtedly her heroines are caught in extravagant adventures filled with duels, kidnappings, and rich handsome men. It’s unbelievable and frankly ridiculous. So of course I read all of them. I was sadly not above the 2006 craze and I may or may not have led it...

Three more chapters went by and I realized I wouldn’t be getting any sleep that night.

The novel starts out filled with all the details that make up most female fiction. Heroine doesn’t think she’s pretty. She’s pursued by the most desirable male in all the land. He’s rather flirty. She’s not. ..yada yada yada etc. and so forth.

The turning point was watching the interaction between the two. Yes his flirting was over the top and of course she was blind to almost everything, but it was captivating none the less.  


I’m not going to make this novel out to be a modern classic. It’s not. But it is a fun read for the fleeting days of summer. 

Rating: 4/5

-Lora

No comments:

Post a Comment