Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman is an intriguing author. Before I read his novel, Neverwhere, I was quite hesitant of him as an author because of how dark his novels seemed. But because I had to read Neverwhere for a class, I gave it a shot--because I had no choice-- and then changed everything for me. I can now say that I am a Neil Gaiman fan. Do his books contain dark elements? Absolutely. Are they dark elements presented in a thought-provoking and wonderful manner? Without a doubt.

I have been dying to read The Graveyard Book for ages, but other things got in the way. So I bought my copy at Waterstone's on High Street Kensington in London just so I would have something great to read during my flight home. And I LOVED every minute of it. From beginning to end it is an absolute treat.

A brief synopsis: As a toddler, Bod Owens' family was murdered, but on the night of the murder he was able to escape and found his way to the cemetery near his home. The ghosts of the cemetery discover the baby and decide to raise him in the cemetery in order keep him safe from the man who would murder him.

The novel is quick, deep, exciting, and quite lovely. Now one of my new favorites.

-KB

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment