Monday, July 1, 2013

Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

An old roommates was the first to tell me about Tess of the D'urbervilles. She said and I quote, "It is my favorite book. I know it's about rape and it's terribly sad, but I can't help it. I love it." From there I wasn't quite sure where to go. Rape? Sad? Why would anyone want to read that? But there was also that level of intrigue that made me want to read it all the more.

However, I didn't get around to it until this summer despite that conversation being years ago. The timing could not have been better though because I finished the novel a few scanty minutes before visiting Thomas Hardy's home in Dorcetshire, England. Truly providential.

And like my old roommate, I cannot help but love this book. The characters are infuriating and the circumstances are worse. And just so you know, it does not end happily. There really is no reason to like this book at all, let alone love it. And yet, here we are. I love this novel. Thomas Hardy's writing is bewitching, and Tess herself is truly remarkable. This novel makes me feel all sorts of conflicting things, and I am still working them out. To me that is the sign of a good novel: you're still mulling it over months later.

-KB

Rating: 5/5

P.S. Stonehenge comes up in the novel, so that is something to look forward to.



No comments:

Post a Comment