Monday, December 23, 2013

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

I feel inadequate to be writing about Rebecca because it is one of Lora's favorites and she has been pestering me to read it for years. I have a feeling that she gave it to me as a Christmas present so I would feel a little more guilty if I didn't read it. Now that I have finally read it, I feel embarrassed that I hadn't read it all those years ago, because to be frank, Rebecca is a work of art. My brother (who just received a Master's in English by the way) compared it in greatness to Jane Eyre and even ventured to say that he liked it better than Jane Eyre. Though that may be blasphemy to some, having read Rebecca I understand what he means completely. I cannot say that I liked Rebecca more than Jane Eyre, but I would have to say that I would put them on the same level without question. 
Though the title of the novel may be deceiving, Rebecca is not the name of the protagonist. The protagonist is nameless (a wonderful stylistic choice in my opinion) and the novel is about how Rebecca, the late wife of the protagonist's husband, continually haunts their life. Rebecca haunts the couple not as an actual ghostly presence, but through her overwhelming presence in their home Manderley. 

I am not sure what else to say about it except that I think everyone should read it as soon as possible. I love the prose style, I love the characterization, I love the plot, I love the setting. I love the mystery, the ghostliness, the intrigue. I love it all. I wouldn't even suggest checking out a 
copy of Rebecca from the library, just go out and buy it. Save yourself the trip. 
Trust me. 

-Kelly

Rating: 5/5 Stars

P.S. Alfred Hitchcock also made a film based
on Rebecca (coincidentally entitled Rebecca
starring Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine 
and I plan to watch it soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment