Sunday, March 3, 2013

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Atlas Shrugged foretells America's future if the atlas's of the world shrugged. Meaning, what would happen if the producers and thinkers of our world got tired of being treated like public slaves and left their responsibilities behind to live for themselves. I want to go into more detail, but this book is over 1,000 pages. Instead I'm going to tell you about my experience with this book.

Before I read Atlas Shrugged, I sat in lecture as one of my favorite professors ranted over the fact that students read Ayn Rand and praise her ungodly views. This was hard for me to swallow because after reading The Fountainhead, I had developed a great respect for Ayn Rand's work. Reading Atlas Shrugged has only intensified that respect. I can't stop thinking about her ideas, I can't help agree with them, I can't help thinking that if more people thought like this the world would be in a better situation. 

I sincerely hope this doesn't make me ungodly.

I believe he hated Rand because she casts the people who shout demands for humanity as untalented hypocrites who can't think for themselves. In opposition are the heroes. Men and women driven by confidence in their own talents to succeed while having little regard for others welfare

I see his point. I just don't share it.

These bold characters give a different voice to the same opinions I grew up hearing and out of all the things this book discusses, these are my favorites:

  • Never let weak men make you feel guilty for your strength and responsible for their weakness.
  • "An honest man is one who knows that he cant consume more than he has produced."
  • Money doesn't corrupt you, you corrupt money.
  • Live by your own opinion, not others. 
  • Accept responsibility for your life.
  • Think.

 I feel I should also state that I don't agree with all of Rand's views. I believe in having charity and serving those around us; not simply existing for yourself. Here's the catch. I don't believe charity is tearing down those that succeed and throwing money at people who will never learn to stand on their own.

I realize this has become a weird book review. I had a lot of thoughts ok. You're just lucky I cut myself off when I did.

One more thing. I'm not big on how Rand portrays romance. I don't like that she sometimes paints it as technical and somewhat violent. So if you want romance, read Austen.

In closing, this book is a masterpiece, and unnerving electrifying masterpiece.  If you agree with her or not, I believe everyone should read Atlas Shrugged and decide for themselves.

Rating: 5/5 

-Lou

P.S. Never watch the 2012 movie of Atlas Shrugged. NEVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment