Monday, February 4, 2013

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

After I read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I read Stolen. These books lead me to believe that I am somehow trying to punish myself.

Stolen is a letter from a girl to her captor. 


16-year-old Gemma is on a trip with her parents, when she meets a handsome stranger in an airport. One drink later, she has been taken. "It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him. This is my story. A letter from nowhere."

Ty is her captor. He has been watching her for years and in his mind he is saving the one he loves from a life lived unfulfilled. He believes he is noble. (This guy's just lucky Liam Neeson isn't her dad.)

The author wrote the book for her doctorate program and it was essential a study that explored "the influence that a really wild and remote space can have on the inner development of a young woman."

I realize the story-line sounds bizarre and a little bit crazy, but I got so caught up in it that I read it straight through.

I feel like this story tapped into a personal fear that stems from a recurring dream. The dream is always the same, but has varying casts. The basic set-up is about an obsessed guy who is chasing me and he will do whatever it takes to get me even if that means killing everyone I know.

I know, I'm a raving lunatic.

So you get why this story got to me.

I basically muttered "Oh, my gosh. Oh my gosh. Oh. My. Gosh" over and over and over again for two hours.

I wasn't even going to recommend this book, but I couldn't get it out of my head AND in a twisted way, a feel like that's what literature should do to you.

Overall, I found the writing to be clear and original. The character development was above average for teen lit. And the connection between the characters was fascinating EVEN though she spent most of the time either injuring herself or Ty in her failed attempts to escape.

And more than anything, I need other people to read it so I have someone to talk to about it.

Rating: 3/5
-Lora

No comments:

Post a Comment