Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

I just want to take a moment in order to recognize the fact that I FINALLY put on my big-girl pants and finished A Tale of Two Cities. I started reading it in September of last year, but only read snippets of it here and there as I was busy with my last semester of school and blah, blah, blah. But I did it, and it was great and I will probably be spontaneously bursting into tears for the rest of the day. No joke. Good one Mr. Dickens.

I know the fact that a book made me cry is not a real reason for you to read it, so I'll try to come up with some fancy reason which will entice you to read  A Tale of Two Cities so that you too can just cry, cry, cry.

Our dear Mr. Charles Dickens deserves a standing ovation for his phenomenal use of the English language and also hats off to his plot. It is sincerely, one heck of a story. But the real reason you should read A Tale of Two Cities is this: humanity. It truly was the "best of times and the worst of times" as well as the best of people and the worst of people. To me, this is the reason why I read, to discover more about humanity and therefore myself. It is rare that an author can successfully blend the horror and beauty of humanity, but Charles Dickens is the master. So please do yourself a favor and read it.

-KB

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment