Monday, December 29, 2014

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Obviously by the looks of this place, I have not been doing a lot of reading-for-pleasure as of late. It took me all semester to read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (I would probably get through one to two pages a night before I fell asleep with the book on my face). I realize that most of the world has already read Ender's Game, but this was my first time. My feelings regarding Ender's Game: Meh. It was okay, but keep in mind that this review is coming from someone who is not over the moon about science fiction. In fact most science fiction bores me (which explains why it was so easy to fall asleep reading the book). I do apologize to those of you who are die-hard Ender's Game fans, but the whole time I kept asking myself when the plot was going to begin. So not my favorite.

My reading has picked up significantly since Christmas break, so allow me to talk about a book that I actually do wish to share: Cinder by Marissa Meyer.

This book came as a bit of a surprise to me because as I mentioned previously, I'm not much of one for sci-fi. However, I am a huge fan of classic fairy tales with a twist, which is why I picked up Cinder in the first place. This book is the first in the Lunar Chronicles trilogy, so don't expect the plot to be resolved by the end. It's not going to happen.

The basic premise of the novel is that Cinder is a cyborg living in the city of New Beijing in futuristic Asia. The world is being plagued by well, by the plague, which is taking its devastating toll (as plagues often do). It's the basic Cinderella story with the added effects of cyborgs, plague, an evil queen who lives on the moon, royal conspiracies, and what have you.

Although there were a few bits of plot cohesion to question, I enjoyed reading it. I think Meyer's new spin on this classic story was refreshing, and I'm excited to read the sequels.

Happy reading!
KB

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment